The US doesn’t get to see Skyfall until 8 November. *Engages smug mode*
The last Bond anniversary saw Die Another Day, which is detested by many fans and would ultimately lead to the reboot that has put a certain Daniel Craig in the tuxedo. This one won’t get the same bad reputation.
I’m limited to what I can say to avoid spoilers (and there are some big surprises in this one), so I’ll just stick to ten bullet points.
· There is a lot of action in this one – it’s a very loud film with a lot of explosions.
· The stunts continue to be superb and the relative lack of CGI really helps in all of this.
· Daniel Craig – great 007. He’s doing a great job with the action, a just as good job with the one liners and can certainly act, unlike a certain Bond we could mention.
· Acting is generally superb throughout – Judi Dench in particular sound be nominated for another Oscar.
· Some highly quotable dialogue throughout, with more than a few call backs to past films.
· I like this new Q a great deal – I look forward to more exchanges with him and Bond.
· Naomie Harris – very good. Bérénice Marlohe – seriously, Madame, smoking isn’t cool and your lady wasn’t a patch on the person you were trying to emulate.
· Javier Bardem did a good-ish job, although I found one or two scenes a bit uncomfortable to watch.
· Great modern plot, although the ending was a bit unusual – we’ve not had an entirely ‘traditional’ Bond film from Craig so far.
· Do komodo dragons actually do that?
Not perfect, but one of the best Bond films of the lot. More like this please – but can we please put the gun barrel at the beginning next time?