This second episode sees Clara leave Earth and go to a festival on an alien world, where an old god is waking up…
This rather reminded me of “The Beast Below”, Amy’s second story, which took place in a similarish environment, although this one did not involve space whales. It was not as good either – so without further ado.
· The introduction with the leaf and Clara’s parents was well done.
· Matt Smith is good here as usual, but he’s not at his best and some of his Time Lord grandstanding seems a bit unconvincing.
· Really liking Clara – she’s sweet, caring and intelligent, with a strong backstory.
· They really threw the budget at all the aliens this week, many of whom were only seen in the background.
· I’m assuming that moped had some form of force field to protect against hard vacuum.
· Speaking of force fields, the sonic screwdriver should be limited in use and not serve as a get out for all situations – opening the door was enough for it this episode.
· The main monsters were respectively CGI or spent most of an episode banging against something.
· Was all of that singing really necessary?
· Losing that object is going to do something interesting to the ring system – it’s got nothing to orbit.
· I found this episode dragged considerably – some people might even have fallen asleep during it.
I didn’t expect much and I didn’t get much – this is a forgettable episode.